Tv on the Radio

« Older   Newer »

1. Inked
        +1   -1

User deleted

Pitchfork Rating: 9.2

Dear Science, TV on the Radio's follow-up to 2006's Return to Cookie Mountain-- a dense and textural album with an optimistic core-- is catchier, but thornier than its predecessor. Musically, it's an instant grabber: Handclaps crack like fireworks. TVOTR's horns, courtesy of the Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, sound punchier and brighter than ever before. Vocalists Tunde Adebimpe and guitarist/singer Kyp Malone thrive as dual frontmen: They're sexy when they're angry, and even sexier when they're not. And David Sitek's production is shiny and urgent, while his harsher synths and doo-dads hang back like a commentary track.

But making popular music sits uneasily with this art-rock crew, and so although this is TV on the Radio's slickest, catchiest, and potentially most popular LP, it nevertheless reeks with dread. Lyrics about the dead, death, and dying litter the album from its second line onward. Songs with sentimental titles carry the most dire lyrics-- like "Family Tree", a gorgeous ballad about forbidden love whose titular plant becomes a gallows. And the lyrics to "Red Dress" are almost childishly pouty. Assuming the role of industry-bred stars, TVOTR complain that instead of waving collective fists in the air, listeners are merely getting down to their Prince-like guitars and brash brass: "They got you tamed, and they got me tamed." But the self-hatred makes it engaging: "I'm living a life not worth dying for."

The promise of dancing away all your troubles hangs over every sweaty note, until TVOTR happily yank it away. On "Dancing Choose", the big chorus and synth power-chords interrupt the funk and double-time vocals to remind us this is a rock band, prone to making big statements. See also "DLZ", a half-rap, half-primal scream from Adebimpe that sounds like it's aimed at every figure of power in the world. But how do they follow that? With a big brash song about fucking. Anthemic horns and parade drums treat the whole thing like a football pep rally, "I'm gonna take you, I'm gonna shake you, I'm gonna make you cum." That could be their most transparent lyric yet.

"Shout Me Out" is the only cut that reveals any unselfconscious joy. With a chorus that borrows well from Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", it comes the closest to the raw sound of their past works: Repetitive guitar and a chiming synth loop introduce Adebimpe singing a gentle verse, as the song builds to a fantastic, frenetic release and the electric guitar crackles and rails along. This is familiar territory for them-- and they get out fast.

Yes, this is shit-hot thrilling music. But it's also brainy and ambivalent, and more engaging for it. TV on the Radio remain a true Event Band, and the sign o' the times they capture here isn't audacious hope, or fierce revolution: it's confusion. They're the house band for a country that has no idea what'll hit it next, and Dear Science is a jagged landscape of self-doubt, Bush-hate, and future-fear. And once in a while, you still get some of their optimism. Take the first single and the album's fulcrum, "Golden Age", which ice skates to heaven on billowing horns, sweet swirling strings, a video that stars harmless dancing cops, and Malone's falsetto. Malone has said it's about "utopia." And he sings like he still believes in it. But he has nothing to back him up but the beat.

2. minister of r'n'r
        +1   -1

User deleted

stica, ma pitchfork mi pare abbia sempre straveduto per la band..

3.     +1   -1

'I am a Shadow and I dwell in the catacombs which border the country of illusion hard by the dim plains of wishing'

Group

Status
    bè... amante del rock di quello oltranzista, ovviamente se dai settemezzo a robe degli Interpolli ed Editors, ovvio che per compensare la scala di valori , va messo un 9 . Poi consiglierei di riaggiornare le vecchie recensioni ai dischi 1980 e mettere qualche sano 11, 12, 13...

tombola!

4. "Wizard"
        +1   -1

User deleted

Cheppalle, al mio negozio è arrivata solo la versione megafiga da 21 euro.. Ne farò a meno.

5. minister of r'n'r
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    al mio negozio è arrivata solo la versione megafiga da 21 euro..

il classico cd+dvd in digipak con il secondo che mostra la band durante la realizzazione del disco? non so chiedo..

6.     +1   -1

Hand over hand over hand

Group

Status
    CITAZIONE (minister of r'n'r @ 24/9/2008, 23:51)
    CITAZIONE

il classico cd+dvd in digipak con il secondo che mostra la band durante la realizzazione del disco? non so chiedo..

na, il disco è in entrambe le versioni in digipack (o in cartonato, fate vobis), ma c'è una deluxe edition che contiene 4 tracce in più: 2 bonus track e 2 remix.

CITAZIONE
    12. Make Long All Night Long (Bonus Track)
    13. Heroic Dose (Bonus Track)
    14. Dancing Choose (prefuse 73 remix)(Bonus Track)
    15. Crying (telepathe Remix)(Bonus Track)

un pò come accadde per Return To Cookie Mountain la cui versione USA conteneva 4 pezzi in più di cui alcuni remix.

7. "Wizard"
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (minister of r'n'r @ 24/9/2008, 23:51)

Non lo so, con quel prezzo non mi interessa neanche. :ph34r:

8. Inked
        +1   -1

User deleted

A me il disco nuovo piace parecchio,nel precedente c'erano un paio di brani che proprio non riuscivo ad ascoltare,in questo invece no mi piacciono proprio tutti. C'è da dire che in Return to the.... c'è il brano con Bowie che è uno spettacolo assoluto,bowie lo vorrei in almeno un brano di ogni disco nuovo dei tvotr!
    Ho letto diversi commenti sul fatto che sono poco originali,per me chi lo pensa si fa troppe pippe mentali.
    Ok,al cantante piace decisamente Bowie,direi che su questo non ci piove :lol:

Comunque su metacritic.com il voto finale sommando 23 recensioni è di 9.6 out of 10
    http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/tv...dio/dearscience

9. Inked
        +1   -1

User deleted

Ci sono un paio di pezzi che potrebbero essere dei singoli pazzeschi se solo la loro etichetta fosse un minimo interessata a spingere i TVOTR come si deve,basterebbero due video come dio comanda per Stork & Owl e Family Tree.
    Complessivamente è un disco che merita l'acquisto,ma io l'avrei comprato anche "solo" per sti due pezzi :inchino:
    Family Tree è pazzesca

10.     +1   -1

When all is said and done there's no love lost

Group

Status
    Dopo aver letto dappertutto quanto dovessi rendere grazie a Gesù per aver reso partecipi anche noi poveri idioti del miracolo della nascita di questo gruppo e nello specifico dell'ultimo album (se non sbaglio Return era entrato nella top5 finale del 2006/2007, possiamo dire noi c'eravamo!) me lo sono procurato: prima di tutto mi pare inutile sottolineare il fatto che non esiste modo peggiore di ascoltare un disco che farlo dopo aver letto a più riprese che è un capolavoro ---> aspettarsi di ascoltare un capolavoro, il disco in sè mi è pure piaciuto e l'ho ascoltato parecchie volte negli ultimi giorni ma mi trovo a convenire con Sjmo, gli arrangiamenti, i suoni, le composizioni e tutto quello che ci sta attorno sono davvero ben fatti e si sente che non è un gruppo salito alla ribalta giusto per caso (cough *Vampire Weekend* cough), però anche a me a parte tre/quattro canzoni mi trasmettono poco, li ascolto con piacere ma giusto per farlo non perchè effettivamente mi venga il bisogno ad un certo punto della giornata di ascoltarli, comunque un buon disco per carità

11. Inked
        +1   -1

User deleted

Nei loro confronti riguardo al disco precedente è stato commesso un crimine,passato ahimè inosservato....

12. Inked
        +1   -1

User deleted

Ho avuto modo di ascoltare meglio dear science in questi giorni e devo dire che lo sto apprezzando di piu di quanto non avessi fatto inizialmente,è un disco della madonna non c'è un cazzo da dire.
    Hanno scelto come singolo uno tra i due pezzi peggiori del disco,questo non arrivo a capirlo....

13.     +1   -1

Stupor Mundi

Group

Status

NINE TYPES OF LIGHT

1."Second Song" – 4:22
    2."Keep Your Heart" – 5:43
    3."You" – 4:05
    4."No Future Shock" – 4:03
    5."Killer Crane" – 6:15
    6."Will Do" – 3:46
    7."New Cannonball Blues" – 4:34
    8."Repetition" – 3:46
    9."Forgotten" – 3:40
    10."Caffeinated Consciousness" – 3:21

Ridendo e scherzando c'è già in giro il disco nuovo! Si ascolta più che volentieri.

14. cuttooth
        +1   -1

User deleted

mi hanno parlato molto bene dei tv on the radio, ho provato ad ascoltarli e non mi sono piaciuti affatto! :nonono:

15.     +1   -1

"Arcimago a due mani"

Group

Status

:wub:
    CONTATTIWWW

123 replies since 11/6/2006, 02:18   1450 views